Saturday, April 12, 2008

Spring fever

Ever since I can remember my family has had a spring tradition. Both my mother and my father are avid gardeners. My mother would load us up on a beautiful day in June take us to P&M gardens and spend more money they Gordon would probablly have liked on plants. Additionaly my father has always had a beautiful hedge of bleeding hearts in his yard.

Now that it has reached 60 degrees here in New Hampshire my gardening "genes" have set in. I went to home depot and picked up some ideas for my new garden beds. Last summer my wonderful husband, brother-in-law and father-in-law put in a big blue stone patio in our backyard. It has a fire pit in the center and lots of room for flower beds around it. I will put lots of pictures up once the snow all melts. So here are some of my purchases for the beds near the patio




Lots of DAHLIAS
I love this flower and as you can see I purchased just a few varities :)

Ranunculus

This variety of flowers is perennial down in the south but here in new england it only grows as an annual. It was also in my wedding boutique.


Clematis

I have never grown this variety of flower. They are climbing vining flowers that have blooms the size of dinner plates. I am very excited to try my luck at them.



And this is the trellis I bought to train them on. It will look beautiful


Lastly I couldnt resist this urn, I actually bought two of them. The clean lines and yellow tint will look amazing with the blue of the patio. I am not sure what to plant in them yet. Ideas?

So that is it for now. I havent even started at the green houses yet. I have to wait till at least end of May to go pick out flowers there. I blame my parents for this obsession.

1 comments:

Alaskiana said...

I wish I was more into gardening - it looks like so much fun! It's all I can do to keep the grass under control!

Love the patio set too. We redid our porch last summer and have been enjoying it immensly!